"Maintaining a successful open source project is Good Will Hunting in reverse. You start out as a respected genius, and end up being a janitor who gets into fights." — Byrne Hobart (@ByrneHobart@twitter.com)
Good progress on work-related stuff. Didn't have much luck with my own projects this week. I tried to lower the number of database queries django-cast has to do to show the list of all posts for a blog, but it went nowhere. Then I spent way too much time trying to add a pages endpoint to the django-cast API. At least I found out how to integrate a Wagtail API into a local namespace. And finally, there was this cool PR from Dorthe Luebbert I got to merge adding Paprika-Export-Support for kptncook 🎉.
Last Thursday, I had a chaotic neutral encounter at a print shop. As I was getting some documents printed, I noticed a struggling man trying to navigate his iPad. Being the good Samaritan that I am, I offered to help by connecting his device to my phone. But little did I know, I was about to embark on a wild ride of confusion and identity crisis. The man turned out to be none other than Jochen Busse, and as fate would have it, he had also named his phone "Jochens iPhone" just like I had. I couldn't believe it - a Jochen convention right in the middle of the print shop! And to add insult to injury, I now have to change my phone name because apparently, I'm just a regular Jochen. (credits to chatGPT for making this paragraph more "accentuated" 😅).
- My favourite 3 lines of CSS | Need to learn more HTML and CSS 🤓
- Learn HTML | Yes
- Learn CSS | OK, got it
- Building a lightbox with the Dialog element | I'll have to redo the modal image stuff to show galleries in django-cast soon, this might be a starting point
- devdata - Improving developer velocity and experience | How to generate data for your development environments in Django
- Safari 16.4 Is An Admission | PWAs for iOS getting more interesting
Mastodon / Twitter
- So there's a great Thai restaurant in my neighborhood called Kiin. Yesterday, I searched for their website to order some takeout. Here's the Google result. | There are fake restaurant sites intercepting your orders to the real restaurant increasing the price by 15%. Being able to automatically navigate and put data into websites opens up some delicious arbitrage opportunities 😱.
- Ruin this joke by explaining it? Ok! This is an instance of Berkson's paradox. If a dingy restaurant with a broken website has bad food, it won't last, so among surviving restaurants, greasy styrofoam is correlated with good food.
- Dev: at big brain corp we use the right tool for the job Me: *starts deploying postgres* Dev: I didn’t tell you the job… Me: *adds a replica*
- django-seal - application providing queryset sealing capability to force appropriate usage of only()/defer() and select_related()/prefetch_related()
- Weeklog for Week 7: February 13 to February 19 | Johannes
- Week in Review 2023-02-20 | Luis
- Folge 117: Agile Metriken (Mein Scrum ist kaputt!) | Finally a good german speaking podcast about agile etc
- WR1461 Chinesische Immobilien, Makroökonomische Prioritäten und Fachkräftemangel (Wirtschaftskunde) | Always good
- #59: Kann man mit Open Source Geld verdienen? (Engineering Kiosk) | I did know the material for mkdocs theme but didn't know about the business model 😎, good episode
- Ep. 184: Wie gefährlich ist Christian Lindners Generationenkapital? (Wohlstand für Alle) | okish
- MedienrevolutionenWas Buchdruck und Digitalisierung gemeinsam haben (Hörsaal) | Very interesting
- Was gibt uns Sinn im Leben? – Nicht das Ergebnis zählt, sondern das Handeln (Sein und Streit) | Good episode, better than expected (ok, the title is awful)
- Polars: A Lightning-fast DataFrame for Python (Talk Python To Me) | Interesting topic, but bad audio quality
- UKW109 Ukraine: Mentaler Einmarsch (unsere kleine welt) | Still meh, but some interesting pointers...
- #324: JSON in My DB? (Python Bytes)
- Folge 118: Coaching (mit Dr. Miriam Sasse) (Mein Scrum ist kaputt!)