Open source AI models will soon become unbeatable. Period. --Yann LeCun
Home improvement is still going strong. Painting furniture is more time consuming and difficult than expected 🛠️ 🖌️🎨.
At work I used a combination of Alpine.js and htmx to make a chart drawn by apexcharts react smoothly to form change events (input change -> hx-trigger="change" on form -> get request -> swap html with chart data serialized by jsonscript tag -> response triggers htmx event after swap -> alpinejs component updates chart data on htmx event -> chart animation to new state). This is a lot of fun!
And somehow I also managed to do some open source stuff this week. My fastdeploy project is now Python 3.12 compatible thanks to the uvloop 0.18.0 release. There was a bug in the urljoin method of kptncook that is now fixed, and I got some information about additional kptncook api endpoints that may lead to new commands that can be used to search for recipes. There will be a new wagtail 5.2 release in November that adds proper picture and srcset_image template tags. Maybe my wagtail_srcset project will become obsolete? We'll see, I have to try out the new template tags next week. Then I released a new django-cast version, adding Python 3.12 support and dropping Python 3.9 support. And finally I started to dust off my old data science tutorial project because someone wanted to use it and had to realize that it did not work anymore. Maybe I can use this as an excuse to get back into that whole data science topic (LLM fine / instruction tuning, oh yeah?).
- The Web Is For User Agency | MUST (BUT WE KNOW YOU WON'T), hrhrhr
- The Compass of Mourning Judith Butler writes about violence and the condemnation of violence | Colonialism does not seem so bad compared to what's happening in the world right now, no?
- A Hackers' Guide to Language Models | Really good high level overview about all the stuff you can do with LLMs at the moment
- TDD Training Courses DON'T WORK - Try THIS Instead | Interested in this because I also occasionally do TDD / PyTest trainings - asking people why they adopted something is probably a good idea 😎
- HTMx: Building modern web applications without JS (with Carson Gross) | Really great talk
- uvloop v0.18.0 | Support for Python 3.12 🎉
- Alpine.js Test Utils | Yes, I cranked up the complexity of my alpinejs components to such a level I now have to think about how to test them 🤪
- The Mathematical Playground | cool UI
- Nougat: Neural Optical Understanding for Academic Documents | Ok, interesting
- Node.js 21 is now live!
- Hypermedia Systems | This book is a good tutorial about htmx!
Mastodon / Twitter
- Folge #76 Wie wir auf die Sahelzone blicken (sollten) | Musk, Starlink, Ukraine: Was ist los im Weltraum? (Sicherheitshalber) | Still searching for podcasts explaining this whole "world politics gone fubar" to me
- WR1531 Nobelpreis – BRICS – China (Wirtschaftskunde) | Solid episode!
- PyCharm's Year of Django - Paul Everitt (Django Chat) | Always great. Curious who this new Jetbrains sponsored Djangonaut will be?
- Episode #85 Thomas Dohmke // CEO @ GitHub (Alphalist CTO Podcast) | Cool - hmm, would also be a great guest for our Python podcast, no?
- Episode 1 - Core Sprint in Brno & Python 3.13.0 alpha 1 (core.py) | New podcast by Łukasz Langa and Pablo Galindo Salgado, yay!
- Barry Warsaw (Python People) | Nice
- WR1535 Der Wahnsinn in der USA (Zum Thema) | I still don't understand it