The B in Benoit B. Mandelbrot stands for Benoit B. Mandelbrot. Steve Lord
Home Improvement almost done 😅. Short work week, but didn't get much done on my own projects due to a cold and other distractions. Another round of fixing kptncook - thanks to ca-dmin for pointing out the issue. There were also some minor issues with the Python podcast page, thanks to neingeist for reporting them. And the new data science tutorial repository that's currently under construction got its first PR 😎, thanks David.
- Embeddings: What they are and why they matter | Cool!
- Homebrew Python Is Not For You | Yep, I'm using pyenv for that
- My User Experience Porting Off setup.py | Yep, it's a mess
- Seniority and self-management: you don’t have to do this alone
- Unauthorized Access to Okta's Support Case Management System: Root Cause and Remediation | This is terrible. At least oktas customers now no longer are able to pretend they didn't know how bad things are over there. Do you know a good password manager (my current one is an okta customer 😫)?
Mastodon / Twitter
- Every single person who confuses correlation and causation ends up dying!
- This is a really impressive piece of AI-assisted game development - the live demo (desktop only) is at https://bestaiprompts.art/angry-pumpkins/index.html
- Weeklog for Week 43: October 23 to October 29 | Johannes
- DALL-E 3, GPT4All, PMTiles, sqlite-migrate, datasette-edit-schema | Simon Willison
- Forgejo is a self-hosted lightweight software forge
- Gitea is a lightweight DevOps platform
- SVB, Inverted Curve And Bond Risk | Notebook on Colab with an analysis why SVB was going down
- htmx 1.9.7 has been released!
- FS270 Computer im Regen | Hmm, using Python for doing stuff close to the metal seems really interesting
- PEP 703: Removing the GIL (core.py) | Great episode!
- Becoming a Django Fellow - Natalia Bidart (Django Chat) | Seems like the new Django Fellow is a great fit, good episode!
- Positive Psychiatrie - Warum ein Sinn im Leben uns motiviert (Hörsaal) | Bad moderation intro and awful title as always, but ok content although kind of obvious stuff..
- Carlton Gibson - Django, Spain, Parenting, and Open Source (Python People) | Also good!
- History of Philosophy without any gaps | Did not listen to this, add link just to be able to find it later...
- Joscha Bach: 7 Stages Meme/Wahrheit/Metaphysik (Songs & Argumente) | Really great episode. Read about Tononi in one of the books by Markus Gabriel (not recommended) and immediately thought: You are kidding me, right? That's obviously bullshit! You are not that easy to fool, are you? But maybe it's only obvious when you have a computer science background? Really heartwarming to see other people having the same experience.