career Verb /kəˈri(ə)r/
> careers, plural;
> 1. Move swiftly and in an uncontrolled way in a specified direction
> - the car careered across the road and went through a hedge
Normal work week. Prefetching all the data needed to render a list of posts using Wagtail for django-cast was harder than expected. A lot of streamfield blocks end up making database queries. Template tags like
slugurl generate database queries. Custom templates overriding some behavior in some django-cast provided template blocks are issuing database queries. But I think I found most of them by now. And there is some good news: Prefetching the data actually improves performance a bit. And without hitting the database, the rendering time is about 3ms per Wagtail page (about 300ms for a feed with 100 posts), which is probably ok.
- How a Cheese Goes Extinct | Yummy
- Pluralistic: The Cult of Mac (12 Jan 2024) | As much as I like Apple devices, there's some point here
- Harrison Handbook in Python pt 1
- HTMX and Web Components: a Perfect Match | Yup
- SQLALchemy vs Django ORM
- They're Made out of Meat | Not exactly an article, but whatever
- REPL Python programming and debugging with IPython
- Boost Your Django DX update out now | Great book!
- Hosting and DevOps for Django with Benjamin "Zags" Zagorsky | Ok, I think this is the first time I saw a technical talk and thought: Well, for each suggestion I would recommend to do exactly the opposite. I don't mean to say it's a bad talk (ok, maybe a little bit, because choosing multiple interdependent single points of failure instead of one seems just batshit crazy to me). But it's pretty much orthogonal to my views on this topic. So maybe it's interesting?
- Weeklog for Week 2: January 08 to January 14 | Johannes
- Weeknotes: datasette-test, datasette-build, PSF board retreat | Simon Willison
- what subgenre of image is this | applied dialectics?
- Someone did some data scraping to determine the most discussed books of 2023 on Hacker News, and it's every bit as depressing a list as you think it will be
- Firefly III - A free and open source personal finance manager
- What PWA Can Do Today
- Puput is a powerful and simple Django app to manage a blog | Another blog engine on top of Wagtail, maybe I can steal some ideas 😸
- Mealie reached 1.0! | Congratulations 🥳
- Hammerspoon - This is a tool for powerful automation of macOS | I don't know Lua, but chatGPT does 😅
- django-imagefield - Heavily based on django-versatileimagefield, but with a few important differences | I use a setting very similar to IMAGEFIELD_FORMATS for django-cast 😬