Me, walking up to the front desk of the hotel: I have a weird question
Clerk: there are no weird questions
Me: I have an NFC chip implanted in my hand, and I was wondering whether you'd be willing to enroll it as a new key for my room
Clerk: you want me to do what?? I need to see this. What room?
Didn't even ask for ID.--Quinn Wilton
This past week was quite eventful 😅. On Monday morning, I had an emergency dental appointment due to a broken tooth crown 😬. Following that, I attended the Beyond Tellerrand conference on Monday and Tuesday, which proved to be an excellent experience filled with inspiring talks and engaging conversations with fellow attendees. A special shoutout and warm greetings to the hosts of the WWSIV podcast 🎙️!
Throughout the week, I attempted to make django-cast compatible with the upcoming Wagtail 5 release, but faced challenges mainly due to the usage of modules from 'wagtail.core' in migrations 🐛 and the removal of 'image_node.filter_spec' attribute. Additionally, I had to resolve an issue with old comments being invisible on python-podcast.de as a result of the migration to Wagtail and changes to the Django episode model's primary keys 🔧 - thanks to Norbert for the heads up. Unfortunately, there was no django-cast release this week 😞.
In my spare time, I delved into my new LLM hobby by starting to read the "Natural Language Processing with Transformers" book 📚. On Friday morning, I attended a Creative Mornings talk discussing ChatGPT and midjourney, though it didn't present much new information for me 🤷♀️ but the room was packed and there seems to be a lot of buzz around this topic. Later that day, I attempted to record a screencast with Manuel about the "nlp with transformers"-book and some LLM implementation stuff, but we faced technical difficulties with real-time collaboration on Jupyter notebooks. I subsequently wrote a TIL post about the experience, hoping that for our next screencast, it will work better 🤞.
Lastly, I managed to take some time and enjoy the outdoors – very good! 🌳
- The /now page movement | Great idea, didn't know about this! Will probably adopt this.
- Ruleset interpolation Explainer | Useful CSS stuff
- Statement from the listed authors of Stochastic Parrots on the “AI pause” letter | Ok, not so bad
- Replacing my best friends with an LLM trained on 500,000 group chat messages
- Why I am excited about ChatGPT | "Calculator for writing" - yup...
- How Shadow DOM and accessibility are in conflict
- Using Unpoly with Django
- The AI Economist: Optimal Economic Policy Design via Two-level Deep Reinforcement Learning
- Scaffolded LLMs as natural language computers
Weeknotes / Newsletter
- Weeklog for Week 15: April 10 to April 16 | Johannes
- Week in Review 2023-04-17 | Luis
- Science and Technology links (April 22 2023) | Daniel Lemire
- css-layout issue 343: Asking for help and use cases for a CSS layout accessibility issue. Also, lots of exciting things landing in browsers over the past few weeks. | Rachel Andrew
- Introducing Neapolitan | Carlton Gibson
- GREASE - Grease is a website starter that makes building performant, accessible, aesthetic websites fast & frictionless
- Node.js 20 Now Available
- you.com - The AI Search Engine You Control
- Wavelength Messenger
- I know this has been around a bit, but the Netlify drop interface is rad
- recursive.design - A typographic palette for vibrant code & UI
- #118 - Anthropic vs OpenAI, AutoGPT, RL at Scale, AI Safety, Memeworthy AI Videos (Last Week in AI) | Last Week in AI is one of the best AI news podcasts I discovered so far
- Revision 565: Quo vadis Frontend-Tooling? (Working Draft)
- AI – mehr als ChatGPT? mit Philipp Schmid von Hugging Face (programmier.bar) | Meh
- S3 E6 Richard Socher joins Host Pieter Abbeel: LLMs, Search, You.com, AGI, Metamind, AIX Ventures (The Robot Brains) | Great episode! Didn't know Richard Socher was one of the first investors in huggingface...
- WR1479 Bank Run, Klimageld und Spitzensteuer (Wirtschaftskunde) | Always great!
- #111 - Julian asks Bob about his use of ChatGpt (PyBites Podcast) | Meh
- „Jetzt kommt das goldene KI-Zeitalter“ (Künstliche Intelligenz) | Well, what I take away from this episode is that good consulting is in high demand right now 😇 (I'm available, just saying..).